Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Why the Kindle is going back to Amazon

I used to have a Palm device. Actually several over time. I could do a lot of things on it including reading books. It was small, around the size of a cell phone and easy to use. It died about 4 years ago.
Recently I've been eyeing the Kindle as an easy way to read books and carry some general reference material with me. After several months of reading reviews and looking at the capabilities I took the plunge. It arrived the next day with AmazonPrime shipping.
Out of the box it looked very good. It feels good in the hand/s and has an easy to read screen. I charged it and played with it the first day.
The second day a bit of dissillusion began to set in. First it was having another device besides my Blackberry and Creative Zen Vision M to carry around. The Kindle is small, but not really small. It is about the size of large format paperback. It isn't pocket sized.
Then there was the lack of scrolling. The Palm device did this well. You could scroll the book and vary the speed. With the Kindle you have to press a button to turn the page. It isn't a quiet button either.
Then there was the lack of support for all the documents I did have. All the Palm books had to be converted in a two step process to the mobi format of the Kindle. PDF file display, but they are hard to read.
The ease of downloading books is fun, but really not essential. I found it just as easy to find books and transfer them from my computer to the Kindle.
I purchased a few books (less than $10 worth), but can ready them via the Kindle for PC app. I could read on my Blackberry, but my company locks down the apps so I can't install the Kindle for Blackberry.
What it boils down to is that I can't justify carrying another device around that is inconvenient to carry that only does one thing. It does that one thing fairly well, but it isn't perfect. Things like an auto rotate option, touch screen and lack of color really are not acceptable with current technology. If it had been $150, I might be able to justify it, but at $250, I think I can do better.
So it looks like the Kindle will return to the mothership and I'll keep up my search for a more versatile device. Maybe a Netbook or a Zune. Maybe I'll wait and see what the new tablets deliver. The iPad looks to big and expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment